Arctic Norway: Senja and Tromso areas
22-29 February 2020
Arctic Norway: Senja and Tromso areas, 22-29 February 2020, £2295pp - FULLY BOOKED
This 7-night workshop will take in some of the most breath-taking winter scenery anywhere on earth – and hopefully we will also witness the Aurora Borealis. At this time of year arctic Norway is at its most beautiful: the mountains will probably be clad in snow and there may well be snow at ground level. The two areas chosen are well away from the thronging masses – In fact we’ll probably meet more reindeer than people – on my last trip to the Tromso area I passed quite a few herds of Santa’s sleigh carriers! Both areas have fantastic photographic potential for amazing photography during the daylight hours, as well as providing amazing possibilities for shooting the aurora.
The dates have been chosen to coincide with dark, moonless skies, meaning that if the Aurora is active and skies are clear we will have a fantastic opportunity to witness and shoot this unforgettable spectacle. I’ve been fortunate to shoot the aurora on many occasions in the arctic and in Iceland, so can help with composition as well as the techniques required to make successful aurora images.
During the day we’ll be up before dawn to hopefully shoot beautiful arctic sunrises, and will shoot right throughout the day to sunset. This time of year gives an excellent amount of light for daytime shooting. At each of the two locations we will not have a fixed itinerary – we will decide on a daily basis what locations will work depending on the prevailing weather conditions.
Remember that this tour takes place during the Arctic winter, and occasionally storms / adverse weather can make travel more difficult. Safety will always take priority. If the weather is unfavourable during the day we can spend some time on image processing, reviewing images or discussing photography.
Duration: 7 nights
• Sommaroy Arctic Hotel, Sommaroy - Saturday 22nd February – Tuesday 25th February (3 nights). Twin room accomodation on a single occupancy basis with breakfast included.
• Hamn I Senja, Senja - Tuesday 25th February – Sat 29th February (4 nights) – the accommodation here will comprise 2 x 3 bedroom apartments. Breakfast is included. Each apartment has a living room area, useful for socialising / chatting, and each room has private bathroom facilities.
• 7 nights accommodation
• all transportation during the workshop
• Tuition from Mark McColl
• Lunches / dinners / snacks / drinks not mentioned above
• Camera body (plus a spare as backup if you have it)
• Lenses – from wide angle to telephoto. I’ll be taking a 16-35mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and a 70-300mm lens.
• Fast wide angle – f2.8 at minimum to capture the Aurora, a 16-35mm f2.8 would be ideal.
• Lens cleaning equipment – a methanol based cleaning liquid (eg. Eclipse) is ideal as it doesn’t freeze at sub-zero temperatures.
• Plenty of SD / CF cards
• Laptop and external hard disk to back up images each night
It will be cold but hopefully not to an extreme degree – we will be staying and shooting in mainly coastal locations which will keep the temperature a bit higher than inland, where temperatures can hit minus 30C.
• Down filled jacket
• Base layers – top and bottom
• Warm weather proof trousers (ski pants ideal)
• Hat / gloves / hand warmers
• Warm socks
• Boots / arctic wellies (eg. North Face Chilkats, Muckboot arctic sport)
• Microspikes (eg. Kahtoola) / Yaktrax ) in case ground is icy / slippery.
• Moderate – it is not anticipated that we will do extensive, physically demanding walking. As with any outdoor activity slips, trips and falls are all a risk, particularly in an arctic environment. All participants must have adequate health insurance in place.
• Maximum 5 participants
• To guarantee a place on this trip a deposit of £400 is required